Watch the brief video above entitled “Champions of the Land” AND DO SOME RESEARCH ON EACH OF THE environmentalists.
• In a sentence, explain Muir’s viewpoint on nature?
• What work event caused Muir to put a higher value on nature and the outdoors
• What Environmental Organization did Muir create?
What does that organization do?
• What did Muir and Pinchot battle over in the early 1900’s?
• What was the purpose of the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir?
• From an environmental standpoint, what is Muir’s legacy?
• How did Pinchot’s view of nature differ from Muirs?
• When Muir and Pinchot disagreed on Hetch Hetchy in the early 1900’s who had to settle their differences? What was the decision?
• In one sentence, how would you describe Pinchot’s view of nature? How does it differ from Muirs?
• Why do you think Pinchot’s view of nature is important to society?
• Environmentally speaking, what was Gifford Pinchot’s legacy?
• What was Ma Jun’s background and career?
• What Book did Ma Jun author and what topic did it cover? Why was it considered to be
• What does Ma Jun believe to be the biggest Environmental problem in China? Why does he believe this?
• What is Ma Jun’s current job and what does he do? Why is it important?
- Why is Ma Jun considered to be important?
• What environmental principle did Fukuoka-san believe in and why was it important? What is it now called?
• What are clay seed balls and what do they do? Why is this important?
• What was “One Straw Revolution” and what did it cover?
• Name a major award Fukuoka-san was awarded? Why did he earn it? Why is this important?
• Before becoming an environmentalist, what other social cause was she involved in?
• How did this help her when she got more involved in Environmental issues?
• What was the major environmental battle Rosalie Edge was involved in and what issue did it address?
Why is this important?
• What National Park is attributed to Rosalie Edge’s efforts?
• Which environmental organization did Edge file a lawsuit against and what was the issue?
• What book did Aldo Leopold write? What issue does it cover?
• What major environmental principle did Leopold address and why is it important?
• Explain in one sentence what land ethic is?
• Leopold was involved in Wildlife Management. What is Wildlife Management?
• In one sentence, how would you say Leopold’s legacy is. Why would you consider him to be importnat?