IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING WORD LIMIT REQUIREMENTS:
Please note that each and every assignment has its own word limit.
This discussion should be between 150 and 200 words. (The List of References should not be included in the word count.)
Independence of Developing Nations after a Critical Incident
Without question, there are periods of tough economic times in the United States. For many Americans, this begs the question of whether the U.S. should be in the practice of providing disaster relief to other nations in the first place. If the U.S. makes a policy decision to provide aid to other nations, are there any expectations about what those nations should do in return? Should the U.S. only support disaster relief in developing nations? If so, are there any political implications? Should the U.S. only provide aid to democratic nations, or does this go beyond the altruistic intent of providing relief efforts?
For this Discussion, review this week’s Learning Resources. Consider whether disaster relief efforts influence the independence of developing nations. Also think about whether nations should prioritize their aid.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a brief explanation of whether government or NGOs disaster relief efforts influence the independent functioning of developing nations and why. Then, explain whether you think nations should prioritize their aid to other nations based on the economic status of the receiving nation. Justify your position with references to the Learning Resources and current literature.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Discussion should be 150 to 200 words with at least three references…. MULTIPLE USE OF INTEXT CITATION AND PAGE NUMBER…..PLEASE USE SPLIT IN CITATIONS…PLEASE LOOK UP THE PROPER APA USE OF SPLIT CIATION
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the context of ethics and the readings for this class
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create subheadings to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
REMEMBER IN APA FORMAT JOURNAL TITLES AND VOLUME NUMBERS ARE ITALICIZED.
- Sylves, R. (2015). Disaster policy and politics: Emergency management and homeland security (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Chapter 8, “Globalization of Disasters”
- Haddow, G. D., Bullock, J. A., & Coppola, D. P. (2014). Introduction to emergency management (5th ed.). Waltham, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Chapter 8, “International Disaster Management”
- Ford, S. (2010). Is the failure to respond appropriately to a natural disaster a crime against humanity? The responsibility to protect and individual criminal responsibility in the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis. Denver Journal of International Law and Policy, 38(2), 227–276.