Akachi Chizoba is a 51 year old Black, Non-hispanic male is here today in the Primary Care Office because he is having pain in his left lower extremity. He reports that he just got back from a long flight from London, England. He was in London for work. You order a venous Doppler ultrasound of his left lower extremity. The radiology office calls you to tell you that Akachi has a deep vein thrombosis in the left popliteal vein.
- What are non-pharmacologic treatment strategies for the management of a deep vein thrombosis in the left popliteal vein?
- What pharmacologic treatment would you prescribe today (be sure to include, at a minimum, drug name, dose, route, frequency)? What other treatment options exist (include other formulations, i.e. ointment, cream, gel, tablet, capsule, IV solution, etc)? Why did you choose your treatment option over other available options (if applicable)?
- What is the mechanism of action of your selected pharmacologic agent? How does the mechanism of action correlate with the physiology/pathophysiology of deep vein thrombosis?
- What are the most common adverse effects?
- What is the cost of your selected treatment option?
- Discuss pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of your selected pharmacologic agent (be sure to include, at a minimum, onset, peak, duration, half-life, etc).
Pleaese include references