ALTERNATIVE ASSIGNMENT – SUBSTITUTION FOR LLELA
Please write a 4-5 page paper on a watershed of your choice.
As an Introduction to the paper please include descriptions of: a) The watershed and b) The problems facing the watershed (i.e. what are the problems?, How did they occur?; What type of pollution led to this problem?).
Points to consider for the main part of the paper:
- How do scientists measure/detect problems in watersheds? For example, include brief descriptions of the lab procedures used in BIOL 1132 lab (water quality etc.). Hint: How did you measure ammonia and what does it mean when there is high ammonia in water?
- What impacts do the problems of the watershed have on plant and wildlife?
- How will that affect future generations living along the watershed?
- What are the measures that have been implemented to protect or restore the watershed.
- What do you suggest should be done to protect or restore the watershed?
Examples of watersheds you could write about:
1) Chesapeake Bay Watershed
2) Mississippi River Watershed
3) Colorado River Watershed
4) Florida Everglades
The paper must be typed using standard margins and 12-point font, double-spaced with complete sentences, and in paragraph form. The paper should include at least 3 references, which must be cited properly = peer reviewed papers/book chapters. Please avoid any use of URL citations.