HIM410 Health Informatics
Week 3 – Assignment
There are two general types of data dictionaries: a database management system data dictionary and an organization-wide data dictionary. For this assignment, we are focusing on the organization-wide data dictionary. In a data dictionary, individual data elements and definitions are defined to ensure consistency and accuracy. Assume you need to collect and analyze data on patients discharged and readmitted to hospital X within 90 days of discharge. Develop the data dictionary for this study by completing the table below. Your data dictionary must include a minimum of 15 discreet data elements. Include information you would need to identify:
- the patient (Unique identifier)
- the admission(s)
- the reason for each admission (why the patient presented to the hospital emergency department)
- the principal diagnosis which is defined as the condition of the patient made after studying the patient and their admission to the hospital.
- the indicator for justified readmission or questionable readmission.
Guided response: Include at least 15 data elements and the rationale for each data element, using the format below and include:
- A title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Include two scholarly references, excluding the textbook, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the
Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.