Reaction Paper 2. (Points: 100; Due: Wednesday by 5pm) ** Cannot use the reading from discussion “Mending”
This assignment will showcase our ability to interpret a work of literature using a socio-cultural approach, in this case an examination of the patient-caregiver relationship. Be sure to follow the instructions given to you by your instructor, which will be given to you in class or appear in the space below.
Please make sure you have visited the Week 3 Required Reading list, the Online Presentations folder, and the Student Resources Link in our Classroom to prepare for this assignment.
In your career there will be patients who have suffered, and are suffering, from incredible physical and emotional conditions. In this reaction paper, select one of the assigned weekly readings, and explore how you as a healthcare professional would ‘react’ to a patient who has experienced major trauma. Consider these questions:
1. how would you maintain some level of detachment to protect yourself from emotional overload while providing the care the patient might need?
2. Did the literary work teach you anything or give you a sense of being better prepared for the professional patient-caregiver relationship?
3. What did it teach you? Show the reader the exact statement (quote and cite) so that the readers sees exactly what statement helped you reach a new understanding.
Please use limited first person point of view on this assignment. This means you can use any of the pronouns ‘except’ any you/your pronouns and limit “I” pronouns to no more than one per paragraph.
Create a 5 paragraph reaction that is 500 words or more.
1. Begin by reviewing the readings for the week. Select the one that made you the ‘most’ uncomfortable or seemed the most overwhelming situation to deal with or overcome.
2. Prewrite concrete, significant details of the literary work you selected and make notes or lists on how you might best interact with the patient in a way that supports their struggle without compromising your own emotional state. Make notes on lessons learned from the reading.
3. Transform those notes into paragraph form narrating your reaction to the reader.
(To be sure you have the required 500 words: Highlight the entire text that you have written/ go to the ‘Tools’ bar at the top of your Microsoft Word page/ click on ‘Word Count’.)
Please submit this assignment by 5 p.m. on Wednesday of Week 3.