Within the field of health education, Welle, Russell, and Kittleson (1995) determined that five dominant philosophies of health education/promotion exist. These include:
- Behavior change philosophy
- Cognitive-based philosophy
- Decision-making philosophy
- Freeing or functioning philosophy
- Social change philosophy
Post your philosophy statement for health education in a Video Log (Vlog). This will require you to create a 2 – 3-minute video of yourself explaining your health education philosophy. In the vlog, explain which one of the five philosophies of health education and promotion most closely align with your philosophy statement and why. Then, describe how you would explain your philosophy of health education to a colleague or peer. Be specific and provide examples. Please also provide the written text of your Philosophy Vlog with the references cited in APA in a proceeding post. Please use your resources in the Kaltura Media Uploader section of the course to create your “Health Education Philosophy Vlog.” ( if you write it, I can do video)
Laureate Education. (Producer). (2014e). Philosophical Foundations of Health Education [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Cottrell, R. R., Girvan, J. T., Seabert, D., Spear, C., & McKenzie, J. F. (2018). Principles and foundations of health promotion and education (7th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Benjamin Cummings.
- Chapter 3, “Philosophical Foundations
Review your strengths finder results from HLTH 6005: Perspectives on Health and the Developing Professional or HLTH 8003 Building Multidisciplinary Approach in Health. After reviewing your results, complete the assignment below:
To Complete the Assignment:
Submit a 2 to 3 page paper (not including title page and references), to include the following:
- Title page
- Section headers for each of the following required sections:
- What are your top five themes of strengths?
- How will you leverage your top five themes of strength to develop as a health educator?
- Reflect on a situation within the last three months in which you believe one of your top five strength themes allowed you to successfully solve the situation/issue/challenge or problem. Describe this situation and how your strength enabled you to be successful.
- Select one of your five themes of strengths and describe your plan to implement/develop this theme as a current or future health educator.
- Cite the sources within your text where you refer to them, using APA format.
- Include a reference list using APA format.