Applying Middle Range Theories to Practice
Last week you began exploring literature in support of specific practice problem. One step in the analysis of literature is examining the theoretical framework that guided the study. Middle range theories are frequently used to guide nursing research and it is likely that some of the articles you reviewed used a middle range theory. This week, you will examine how middle range theories bring to light concepts in health care and the DNP-prepared nurse’s role in developing and refining middle range theories for advancing nursing science and improving practice.
- Reflect on the information presented in this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on the development and use of middle range theories in nursing practice and research.
- Search the Walden Library and other scholarly databases looking for examples of the development, analysis, or use of middle range theories in clinical practice.
- Determine current trends in the development and use of middle range theories in nursing practice and research.
- Consider how the development of new middle range theories advances nursing as a science.
By Day 3 post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- How does middle range theory illuminate concepts in health and health care delivery?
- What do you see as your particular role in developing (or evaluating) middle range theories? Why might that be important to advancing nursing science and improving clinical practice?