Environmental Science Assignments
PLEASE MAKE SURE EACH ASSIGNMENT IS IN SEPERATE WORD DOCUMENTS!
Objective 2: Extend biblical perspective within the context of the stars.
Scripture contains many references to natural features of our universe. This exercise will give you the opportunity to examine several of these scripture references that relate to the components of our universe, with particular emphasis on stars.
Learning Activity #3: Biblical Perspectives Exercise
- Read 1 Corinthians 15: 40-41
- Read Isaiah 40:26 and Psalm 147:4
- Read Chapter 17 in the textbook.
- Submission Item: Write 1-2 pages that answer the following questions:
- What information about stars does the Hertsprung-Russell diagram provide?
- What roles does the sun play in supporting life on Earth?
- Describe the key theories about stellar evolution.
- How do you interpret what 1 Corinthians 15: 40-41 has to say about stars and other cosmic bodies?
- Do you think God is concerned about the stars? Why or why not? Give scripture sources to support your answers.
- What does the number of stars, and the fact that God has named them all, tell you about God?
- What do you think makes our Planet Earth unique within the universe as a place that supports life? Be specific, citing the knowledge you have gained from your study of Earth Science in this course.
Objective 3: Illustrate planetary bodies within solar systems.
Our text gives a brief statistical description of each of the planets in our solar system. However, there is a lot more to learning about the planets than studying data! Each planet is unique and has characteristics similar to and different from our own Planet Earth. Think about how God has made Planet Earth special to sustain human life. Learning Activity #4: Solar System Presentation
- Research the planets and select one of the planets in our solar system that you will study in more depth for a presentation. These two website will assist your research.
- Submission Item: Create an 8-10 PowerPoint slide deck.
To achieve maximum points for content and analysis, thoroughly address the following elements for the planet you selected.
- Name of planet
- Planet type (terrestrial or Jovian)
- Order of planet from the sun (Example: Earth is 3rd)
- Description of planet’s appearance and surface features
- Number of satellites and rings, if any
- Distance from the sun
- Mass compared to Earth
- Rotation period
- Other facts or information of your choice
- Don’t forget a title slide and a conclusion slide!
- Include a reference slide for information sources as well as any images you include.
- Ensure that you have cited and referenced at least two scholarly or government sources.
- Ensure that you have a title slide and reference slide, in addition to your 8-10 slides. Any images you use must also be referenced. Be aware of copyright laws! A good source for images is Wikipedia Commons, which provides the source for you.
Objective 4: Compare and contrast theories of cosmic origins.
Many different theories exist about the origin of the universe. This can be a hotly debated topic within both the scientific and the religious communities. However, this is one area in which science and faith can come together to arrive at theories that are accepted by both communities. This activity will give you the opportunity to research, ponder, and write about these theories.
Learning Activity #5: Cosmic Origins Paper
- Read Chapter 18 in the textbook.
- Submission Item: Write a 1-2 page paper comparing and contrasting different theories of the origin of our universe and its components.
- Create a table which outlines, compares, and contrasts at least three different theories.
- Evaluate the positives and challenges posed by each of the theories you compared.
- Provide your personal ideas about which theories seem most plausible. Support your ideas with references from your sources.
- Read the Reflect on Scripture section of Chapter 18, found on page 505 in the course textbook. Read the scripture verses referenced in this section. Using paragraph form, answer the questions posed in this scripture reflection.
To achieve maximum points for content and analysis, the following elements need to be thoroughly addressed. Remember that the purpose of this paper is not to pass judgment on different theories, but to compare them.
- Please use the OCU Template to ensure APA formatting is applied correctly.
- Ensure that you have cited and referenced at least two scholarly sources.