Create a Health Pamphlet – Topic: Diphtheria
This assignment is designed for you to demonstrate your ability to communicate your knowledge of a disease to the lay (non-scientific and non-medical) public.
In this assignment, you will develop good working knowledge of a chronic disease or a unique preventable disease. Check with your instructor for approval of your topic selection.
· You will choose a unique chronic or preventable disease during the first two weeks of the course. Chosen Topic: Diphtheria
· Seek approval for your topic from your instructor. (Approved)
· First, create an outline that shows sufficient detail to demonstrate preliminary research findings; shows logical progression of ideas and list of references sufficient in number to develop pamphlet; of good scientific rigor; less than seven years old, and appropriate to the topic.
· Create an informative pamphlet about the chosen chronic or preventable disease for a non-scientific community. Ideally, the pamphlet should be in the form of a six-page pamphlet.
· The pamphlet should contain the following:
· Content and language that targets a lay audience. All terms should be explained and diagrams and graphics should be provided to clarify concepts and ideas.
· A brief description of the disease, including its symptoms and signs
· Explanation of the effects of the disease on healthy body function including cellular, tissue, organ and organ system levels
· Risk factors contributing to the onset of the disease
· Description of preventive steps to avoid the disease (if avoidable)
· Available diagnostic and therapeutic tools
· Outcomes of the disease (such as prognosis or recovery potential)
· Information about how a person suffering from the disease can maintain a desirable quality of life, minimize or slow the progress of the disease
Format of the pamhlet
· All content written in your own words
· Reference citations included in APA format (not part of the tri-fold; should be provided on a separate page)
· The pamphlet should be submitted on April 24, 2016 via your Assignment folder.
At a minimum, your pamphlet should contain the following required elements:
· Introductory paragraph describing your subject and its importance
· Body of the pamphlet
o Addresses signs, symptoms
o Explains effects of the disease on healthy body functions, and relates this to signs and symptoms
o Analyzes risk factors and preventive steps
o Describes maintenance of quality of life
o Discusses diagnostic and therapeutic tools
o Explains expected outcomes and prognosis
o Describes current areas of research into prevention, treatment or cure
o Describes possible future areas of research into prevention, treatment or cure
· Conclusion – summary of your findings
List all references at the end of your pamphlet. You must use at least five references from credible, scientifically rigorous sources and cite them using American Psychological Association (APA) style. Two or more references should be from the UMUC Library. The references cited should be no older than seven years (published 2009 – 2016). References should be listed on a separate page that does not count toward the required length of the paper.
Helpful resources include the following:
· Online databases, websites, e-books, and other resources identified by librarians as Your grade will depend upon the content and clarity of your pamphlet. Keep in mind that longer does not always mean better. Good writing practices, including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure, and a clear flow of thought, will account for a portion of your grade.