Application: Abstract Revision An abstract is “a brief, comprehensive summary of the contents of the article” (American Psychological Association, 2010, p. 25). According to Walden’s Writing Center, the purpose of an abstract is to capture the essence of a research study, its topic, main argument, and main conclusions. An abstract is required in your doctoral study project.In this Assignment, you will examine the abstracts from the research articles that you sourced for Assignment 1 of this week. You will analyze these abstracts based on certain criteria. Then, you will rewrite one of the abstracts that you think does not meet expected APA and doctoral-level requirements.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Select one of the research study articles that you found in your literature search as required in this week’s Assignment 1, giving preference to one that has an abstract that you think does not meet APA standards.
- Consult standards for writing abstracts as noted in theAPAPublication Manualsections and by the course text readings cited in this week’s Resources.
- Use the following questions as a guide to assess the abstract:
- Did the author include a reference to the research study using a format consistent with the APAPublicationManual?
- Did the author mention the problem addressed within the study?
- Did the author state the central purpose of the study?
- Is information about the sample, population, or subjects provided?
- Are the key results summarized?
- Is the journal article clearly a report of a research study (instead of an essay, opinion paper, typology, or synthesis of past research)?
- Is the abstract no longer than a short paragraph (i.e., less than 1 double-spaced page)?
Rewritethe abstract you chose based on your assessment of the abstract. Be sure to submit the text of the original abstract, your brief assessment based on the above questions